Thursday, April 7, 2011

What to do?!

Over the last few days I've been trying to figure out my "next move" in terms of future work. I've gotten a couple offers for baby-sitting jobs, but they're part time and only a few hours per week. In other words, I'd have to piece together a schedule with different families to make it sustainable. While I have plenty of experience as a nanny/sitter, I'm at the point where I feel I need to be shooting a little higher! As we all know, it's near impossible to find teaching jobs at this time. And if I became a preschool teacher I'd be making even less money than as a nanny. Unfortunately with all the budget cuts and layoffs, there are few jobs available to someone like me, with a heavy concentration of social science skills. This means lots more competition for full time, salaried jobs in my field of expertise. Which ultimately means that it could be a long while before I am hired for such a job.

I have a couple choices right now...

*I could start nannying again.
Pros: Instant money, "under the table," easy job, flexible, and I have plenty of experience.
Cons: I would not be gaining any "new" experience or skills for my resume, families want commitment for at least 6 months which limits my chances of finding a better (full time/salaried) job during that time. Also, I've been a nanny for 5 straight years now and I think I might be ready for a change.
OR
*I could look for full-time work that somehow aligns with my experience/education.
Pros: Hopefully more money and stability, new jobs skills and experiences to add to my resume, more potential for upward mobility and advancement.
Cons: Limited number of jobs out there, could take a while before I'm hired. Less flexibility than being my own boss as a nanny.

My biggest fear is not getting hired. Even with a Master's degree, I'll have a lot of competition. I'm staying optimistic that things will work out and I'll have a stable job in the near future. Until then, I've got 1.25 chapters to go on my thesis and a giant research paper to write with a group from my other class. My hands will be quite full for the next month, regardless.
After that I think I'll be needing another vacation ;)

Because I can't publish a blog without at least one picture, here's a shot of me with a "world's biggest pancake" at breakfast with our friends last weekend.
Pay no mind to Nathan's creepy face in the background... there was a mirror on the wall behind me.
Not sure if you can get the idea of its size in this picture, but this pancake extended 2 inches beyond the large plate on all sides. I only managed to eat half!

P.S. Check out that flat sternum! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!