Sunday, March 27, 2011

Portland Transit

One of our goals (I suppose you could call it a resolution) this year has been to learn the Portland Transit system. Taking the bus/light rail/street car (Also known as TriMet) would mean less dependence on our cars and lots of gas money saved. Learning the system has been a little intimidating to me. I have very little experience with public transportation, except the handful of times I've taken BART to SF and Berkeley (which still confuses me!).
Due to Nick's work schedule this week, though, I have been forced to learn TriMet  fast! Nick will be training in Beaverton this week rather than working at his bank. Meanwhile, I have an online class tomorrow at 5pm and a flight that leaves from PDX at 7:30! Bad scheduling on my part, oops...

My solution to this problem is:
1. Learn transit system ASAP
2. Take said transit to Airport in time for my 5pm class
3. Sit in airport, attend class online for 2-3 hours while waiting for my flight.
4. Fly to Orange County (woohoo!)

The scariest part about this whole thing (and it's pretty silly really) is that I have to take a bus to the rail station--and I have exactly 5 minutes from the time I get off the bus to the time I have to be on MAX. Five minutes! I will be proud of myself if I can pull this off.


I know it will all be worth it, though. After tomorrow I will have conquered TriMet and saved a lot of money, too. Back at Sonoma State it cost me over $30 to take the bus to the airport. Here in Portland, I will be spending a whole $2.05 for the same purpose! Now if that's not reason enough to suck it up, I don't know what is.

Anyway, this week ahead is going to be busy and lots of fun for me! On Tuesday my mom, sisters and I will head to Palm Springs and have a mini-vacation for a night. I'm pretty sure all three of us are looking forward to some non-rainy (and actually warm!) days. 80-degree weather is the cherry on top! Wednesday afternoon we'll drive back to OC and my sisters and I will spend the evening with my dad. Thursday the three of us head to Temecula to visit our Opa and Oma. I'm hoping to record some old-world stories while we're there--I've been meaning to for a long time. :) On Friday Kim flies back to San Jose and I head over to Steven and Jodi's new house for a reunion with all our SSU friends. On Sunday I'll fly out from Burbank. Lots of fun ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!