Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Garden Update

My plants have been making good progress outside lately. Last week I harvested our Broccoli and we enjoyed it with dinner. We've also tasted the first couple strawberries that have ripened-- and while they're tiny, the fruit is so sweet.
My zucchini plants are not so happy... I planted them in the ground a couple months ago but the sneaky slugs ate their way through most of the stems! At the suggestion of our friend Manny (a keeper of a garden himself), I put sandpaper around the plants to ward off the slugs. It has worked for the most part, however I'm not sure if the plants will ever bear fruit. They are starting to blossom flowers though, which adds some bright color to the garden.
Because of the slug issue, I decided to try growing squash from our vertical garden so that fewer pests would have access to it. So far so good!
In other news, it is finally Summer in Portland!! The week ahead has nothing but warm (even hot!) days between 75 and 85 degrees. We spent the sunny weekend with Todd and Caitlin, our friends that came up to visit from the Bay area. Nick was thrilled to have a rare 2-day weekend because of the holiday. I'm a little behind on our blog posts and pictures, so stay tuned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!