Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Quarter-Century Man

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO NICK!
Yesterday we celebrated Nick's 25th birthday. Unfortunately we both had to work all day, but we were happy to have the entire evening together. Nick doesn't like big celebrations in his name, so he requested a nice, mellow night out.
I did lots of research on nice restaurants around Portland--first by asking the advice of my coworkers and then by doing a massive search online (gotta love Yelp!). I finally decided on the Sapphire Hotel at the suggestion of my coworkers as well as rave reviews online. It's a bit fancier than the places we've been so far, but it's not everyday that your boyfriend turns a quarter-century!
The wait was longer than expected, but that just gave Nick some time to open his present.
A couple weeks ago we had browsed around Nordstrom Rack and Nick found this wallet that he really liked. Lucky for me, the store is only two blocks away from my work! I got the wallet on my way to my bus stop, then put concert tickets in there from one of Nick's favorite bands. It seems like concert tickets is becoming a theme for special events... It's going to be hard to outdo myself next year, as Yanni and Thievery Corporation are hard to beat!
Once Nick and I were finally seated, we each ordered a drink; he got his new favorite, Jack and Coke (thanks to Uncle Mike ;) and I got the "Lloyd the Bartender" (apple bourbon, swedish punsch, grapefruit and bitters). We also ordered an appetizer--Cheesy Artichoke and Arugula dip with baguette slices. Nick ordered a giant, juicy berger (and a fancy beer he's been eyeing for months to go on the side) and I got a half chicken (and a side of water, as I was designated driver, lol). As usual I couldn't resist taking a peek at the dessert menu... the sweets sounded SO tempting, but half-way through our entres we were already incredibly full!

It was so nice to spoil Nick a bit, especially now that I can afford it a little easier. The bill was surprisingly low for all that we ordered, too. Gotta love Portland!
I am already planning a return trip to the Sapphire Hotel (ironic that Sapphire is our birthstone, no?). I'm thinking next time we can skip entres altogether to make room for dessert. ;] And maybe next time Nick can be the driver so I can try the Lavender Chocolate Cocktail!
We had such a wonderful night at the restaurant-- it was a true celebration of Nick's life and successes thus far, and a perfect way to start off our long weekend. Also, an excellent excuse to dress up!
Happy Quarter-Century Birthday, Nick!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!