Friday, September 23, 2011

The Last Day

It's finally here: the last day at the bank! I am so excited to hang up my coat, turn in my keys, and shut down my computer for the last time that I suspect today will be agonizingly long!

Today marks a turning point. No longer will I be a peon composing a mere 0.000379 % of a company's total workforce, I will also be free from the reigns of stifling corporate policy and procedure. My performance will not be measured by an arbitrary point system or a 25 category metric, it will be measured directly in dollars earned and property sold. My job security and livelihood will not be determined by shareholders reacting to plummeting share prices, but my own effort and ability to "go out, kill something, and drag it home." Market managers and executives won't be calling my phone to ask me why I didn't create more interest in cash advances or credit cards with my less affluent customers, nor will they be hounding me to convince my more affluent customers to entrust their life-savings to some young Merrill Edge financial "advisor" calling from who-knows-where. I'm thrilled!

The job definitely had its perks. In addition to paying down some old debts and being able to save for this new opportunity, It helped me develop patience for people. From the little old lady that needed a solid 45 minutes to understand how CDs work to the infuriated customer who got arrested at our bank for disturbing the peace, I can now work with just about anyone. The job also gave me keen insight to the saving habits of the successful, and the spending habits of those voluntarily struggling. It is amazing how closely many of my customers align with the descriptions laid out in Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad Poor Dad and Thomas Stanley's The Millionaire Next Door. But I digress.

The knowledge and insight I got from this job expanded my business acumen further than I would've expected, and for that I am grateful. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job involved outbound visits to small businesses to talk about products that were actually helpful to the business's continuity and success. In fact, small business-folk were my favorite clients. I've learned a wealth from budding entrepreneurs, seasoned pros, wholesale furniture dealers, real estate investors, tow truck operators, and restaurant owners.

Well, time to suit-up and deliver the last 8 hours of my time to the company! Today marks the end, and also the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think!